Full time (16 months)
Dual Degree Award:
APU, Malaysia &
Staffordshire University, UK
This programme of Master in Islamic Banking and Finance aims to produce graduates that are competent, possessing both in depth knowledge and a wide range of skills in Islamic Finance, banking and investment, making them capable of meeting the growing needs of industry, research and education in Malaysia and worldwide. This programme is also to support the vision and ambition of the government of Malaysia to make Malaysia a centre of innovation and excellence in the Islamic financial world.
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum CGPA of 2.50 or equivalent as acceptable by the Senate; OR
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent but for CGPA below 2.50; can be accepted provided that the candidates must have 5 years working experience in relevant field.
- Graduates of equivalent qualifications who have several years of relevant industry experience.
- Evidence of satisfactory English language skills is required for candidates where English is not their first language, such as IELTS 6.0 or above or TOEFL 550 or above.
Who should attend
This programme is specifically designed to produce professionals equipped with expertise in both the conventional finance and Shariah for a career in the banking services or investment as well as any Islamic financial institutions. It is also for those executives and managers desiring specialisation in Islamic banking and finance in order to assist personal development and career advancements in the banking and finance industry.
The Benefits of This Programme
On successful completion of this programme, you will be able to :
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of contemporary issues in Islamic and conventional finance and ability to compare and contrast between Islamic and conventional financial markets in a global setting.
- Identify the ethical and legal responsibilities in Islamic and conventional finance and determine their impact on financial decision making.
- Plan and conduct a research project in a professional and ethical manner.
- Analyze and respond to Islamic financial management problems and opportunities to think critically and suggest possible solutions.
- Conceptualize Islamic financial management issues into coherent written statements and oral presentations.
Programme Modules & Project / Dissertation
The modules of this programme will provide the knowledge and analytical skill to explore and explain the principles and practices of Islamic banking and finance.
- Quantitative Methods For Decision Making
- Islamic Financial Institutions and markets
- Islamic Banking Products and Services
- Islamic Jurisprudence
- Islamic Economics
- Islamic Banking Operations
- Islamic Risk Management
- Islamic Capital Markets
- Research Methodology
- Islamic Financial Planning
- Accounting for Islamic Financial Institutions
- Islamic Law of contracts
- Project Paper/Case Study
Training in research methods, through the Research Methodology Module, in addition to close supervision, will encourage you to develop your research skills so that you can complete your dissertation or project paper efficiently. The dissertation helps you to develop the kind of skills you will need for work in a variety of careers, as well as to develop your specific ability to research and analyse academic problems.
The research will enable you to exercise critical judgment and illustrate how economic analysis has relevance to financial decision taking. The main purpose of this dissertation/project undertaking is to allow you to explore your area of interest and to apply the right approach or methodology and again to arrive at the rightful solutions that best suit or solve the problems at hands. You will be expected to deal with your chosen topic in a competent and scholarly manner, and to display critical discrimination and a sense of proportion in evaluating evidence and the opinions of others.