2+ years (6 Semesters)
Study Loan Options
03 April 2017
15 May 2017
11 September 2017
06 November 2017
The Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering programme prepares you for careers in the Electrical, Electronics, Telecommunication, and Manufacturing environments. This programme offers a broad-based study in the areas of electrical and electronic engineering.
- A range of modules in the electrical and electronic engineering spectrum is provided.
- Other skills necessary for the workplace are also provided. These include communication skills and life-long learning skills.
- You will be equipped with the knowledge and expertise to face the challenges of business development in a wide range of electrical and electronic industries.
- The Electrical & Electronic Engineering programme at APIIT provides a significant amount of hands-on experience. The curriculum requires 6 semesters of laboratory experience in electrical and electronics. Hands on experience provide necessary experience in designing engineering solutions, dealing with implementation issues, and using engineering tools. In addition, you will be exposed with seminars & competitions to be part of the engineering world.
Diploma Admission Requirements:
Admission requirements for this programme is as follows:
- 3 Credits in SPM with a Credit in any Mathematics (Maths or Ad Maths) and a PASS in any Science Subject (Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Science & Technology or General Science). Student must Pass BM and Sejarah to pass the SPM; or
- Pass Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM) or its equivalent with a pass in Mathematics, English and ONE (1) relevant science/technical/vocational subject at the SPM level; or
- Recognised Certificate in Engineering/Engineering Technology or its equivalent; or
- Recognised related Vocational and Technical/Skills Certificate or its equivalent with ONE (1) year of relevant work experience or a minimum of ONE (1) semester of a bridging programme; or
- 3 Credits in O Levels with a Credit in any Mathematics (Maths or Ad Maths) and a PASS in any Science Subject (Chemistry, Physics, Biology or General Science); or
- A qualification that APIIT accepts as equivalent to the above
Diploma Course Structure:
In this semester, students will be introduced to preparatory modules which would be essential for them to embark on their journey in completion of their diploma. Students will be taught English for writing, reading and speaking together with basic Mathematics, Mechanics and Computing. Students are also required to take one General Studies module as required by the Malaysian Qualification Agency.
- English for Academic Purpose
- Engineering Mechanics
- Foundation of Engineering Mathematics
- Practical IT Skills
- General Studies module
Continuition from semester 1; students study Mathematics in more depth and are exposed in professional communication and business to prepare them with skills essential to prepare them in the working world.
- Professional Communications
- Business Environment
- Engineering Mathematics 1
In semester 3, students will continue studying Mathematics. They would also learn to construct simple logic circuits and to apply cocepts of magnetic and electrical field. In addition to these, they would be also learn on atomic structure, properties and failures of materials such as polymers and metal alloy.
- Engineering Materials
- Engineering Mathematics 2
- Electrical and Electronic Principle
From semester 4 onwards, students are introduced to core engineering modules. They would be learning on calculating currents and voltages in circuits using Kirchoff’s Law, network theorems and nodal and mesh analysis.They also learn about various types of instruments used for engineering measurements and has the opportunity to use them; preparing themselves with sufficient knowledge on lab equipments before they experience more labs in coming semesters. Students are also exposed to computer based 3D modelling, Boolean Algebra, Karnaugh map and construction of digital arithmetic circuits.
- Analysis of Circuits
- Instrumentation and Measurements
- Design Principles
- Digital Electronics
Two of the modules in this semester uses programming languages. Students are taught on how to write assembly language programmes to programme the microprocessor and microcontroller and also to design, implement and test alorithms in C programming. In addition to this, students are also exposed to analogue circuits and its analysis.
- Microprocessor and Microcontroller Systems
- Analogue Electronics
- Problem Solving and Program Design using C
- Organizational Behaviour
During the final semester, students are taught to understand and solve problems involving three phase circuits, synchronous machines, transformers, transmission lines and power system protection, learn to interpret control process and transform the process into mathematical expression and learn on detailed construction, types, operating characteristics of DC & AC Machines and drives. Students also learn on modulation and demodulation of information carrying signals.
- Generation, Transmission and Protection
- Control Systems
- Electrical Machines and Drives
- Communication Engineering Principles
*In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-curricular activities.
Upon successful completion of this programme, you will be eligible to progress into any of the following degree programmes offered at APU:
In today’s workplace, employers are looking for individuals who possess the ability to anticipate and exceed their customer’s needs and deliver quality service as well as technical skills. The Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering programme provides the balance required to achieve this.
The career prospects for holders of the Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering include working as technicians or engineering assistants. Your career could be in industries using low power applications including radio and television, computers and telephones to high power plant construction and design, or working in manufacturing industries including aerospace, electrical equipment, personal electronics, computer electronics, medical electronics and telecommunication equipment. There is also great demand in the marketing and sales areas of technical products where you could be employed as Sales Engineers doing marketing and sales of technical products. At the same time you can work as an Assistant Engineer. At this level, you conduct standardised tests, prepare data for reports, and perform other routine engineering tasks.