3 Years (6 Semesters)
Dual Degree Award:
APU, Malaysia & Staffordshire University, UK
08 November 2016
14 February 2017
Study Loan Options:
This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- Both theories and practical applications with concentration on Islamic fundamental and Shari’ah principles in order to assist expansion in the banking & finance industry.
- Skills in analysing the processes leading to the design, use and management of Islamic financial management information systems; to serve as professional specialists, in a range of managerial and managerial support functions.
- Ability to identify with and operate within the assumptions, standards and social values of the Islamic financial services industry.
- Opportunities for graduates who wish to further their study in a subject of particularly relevance to the modern industrial context.
DID YOU KNOW...?
- APU Banking and Finance Degree programmes are accredited by The Financial Accreditation Agency (FAA)
- Students who specialised in Financial Planning are allowed to sit for the Module 1 and Module 4 exams for the CFP certification programme without having to attend the required 60 hours of tutorial for each module. For Module 2 and Module 3, students will be allowed to sit for the exams after just attending 40 hours of lectures per module.
- APU Banking and Finance Degree programmes are accredited by Asian Institute of Chartered Bankers (AICB), upon completion of the programme, students with CGPA more than 3.0 will be awarded with Executive Banker certificate.
What you will study
The first year provides the basis and foundation in banking and finance necessary to understanding the more focused modules studied in the second and final year of the programme. Students from a wide variety of educational backgrounds are all taught a common set of modules during the first year. This enables APU to accept students without specific pre - requisites. The students will study modules covering a range of subjects fundamental to the understanding of business management and finance.
Students will also undertake the Introduction to Banking and Finance module to allow early exposure to this areas of study.
- Quantitative and Statistical Methods
- Introduction to Management
- Business and Communications Skills
- Financial Accounting 1
- Business Economics
- Introduction to Banking & Finance
- Financial Accounting 2
- Accounting for Bankers
- Business Law
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
The second year will focus on major Islamic banking modules. It will cover the basics of Shariah and Usul Fiqh which discussed the rules and regulations of Al–Quran and Al–Sunnah. Besides that, students will be exposed to the Islamic view on banking products and services. The details on Islamic Entrepreneurship and Transaction will be taught as well as the history of Islamic Banking in the global context. Exposure to other areas of knowledge of financial system, and economics is also provided via supplementary modules to produce wholesome graduates equipped with both Conventional and Islamic banking knowledge.
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Arabic Language for Muamalat
- Islamic Banking Products and Services
- Islamic Economics
- Islamic Financial Systems
- Fiqh Muamalat
- Islamic Banking Operations
- Business Research Methods
- Financial Management
- Accounting for Islamic Financial Institutions
- Usul Fiqh for Banking & Finance
At APU, we encourage our students to be entrepreneurial and innovative. After the completion of Level 2, students will undertake a short internship/industrial training of a minimum of 12 weeks. This will provide our students opportunities to engage with realworld business problems both in our programmes and in our renowned Professional Training placements.
In the final year, students will learn more about Islamic legal maxims which will be a continuation of Usul Fiqh. An exposure to the practical aspects of Islamic banking practices and theory will also be given. The Project in Islamic Banking and Finance further develops the academic and practical aspects of students’ chosen area of study and reinforces your independent learning skills. The managerial perspective dominates curriculum design for the final year. Courses such as Islamic Ethics & Corporate Governance and Islamic Financial Planning provide the necessary closure to the programme.
- Structuring Financial Requirements for Islamic Financial Institutions
- Qawaid Fiqhiyyah for Banking and Finance
- Corporate Finance
- Risk Management of Islamic Financial Institutions
- Investigations in Islamic Banking & Finance
- Islamic Legal Framework of Islamic Banking & Finance
- Global Finance
- Islamic Ethics & Corporate Governance
- Islamic Capital Markets
- Islamic Financial Planning
- Islamic Banking and Finance Project
CAREERS IN ISLAMIC BANKING AND FINANCE
- Islamic Market Stock Broker
- Islamic Merchant Banker
- Islamic Finance Director
- Islamic Finance Officer
- Islamic Finance Advisor
- Islamic Finance Strategist
- Islamic Product Manager
- Shariah Manager