3 Years (6 Semesters)
Staffordshire University, UK
13 March 2017
12 June 2017
02 October 2017
04 December 2017
Study Loan Options:
PROGRAMME AT A GLANCE
This programme aims to develop you as a creative animator. The animation route offers the opportunity to specialize in modeling, animation and composite-based applications in the creation of character film-making.
The programme focuses on the many aspects of the fundament animation process and is supported by series of specialist lecturers, demonstrations and seminars that introduce students to professional, design, and creative process.
Year 1 provides a structure for learning the major principles of animation. You will explore a range of techniques involving 2D and CG elements. Semester 2 builds on the principles of Animation with further development.
Year 2 involves the development of characters in greater depth. This includes enhancing audio dialogue and body gesture, an introduction to action integration, and advanced lighting and camera work for greater shot composition; as wellas model making as a core module with a focus on set building. You will also have the option of studying experimental animation.
In Year 3 you will be expected to produce a series of short animations which display excellent performance-based animation. Emphasis is places on professional practice in preparation for graduation and greater employment prospects through animation.
We welcome applications from people with a wide variety of qualifications, skills and experience. Applications are individually assessed. However typically you will have:
- Route 1: Entry to Year 1 Degree
- Successful completion of STPM with 2 full passes or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.0 and completion of SPM or equivalent; or
- Successful completion of A-Level with at least a pass in 2 subjects and successful completion of O-Level or equivalent; or
- Recognised Matriculation or foundation with CGPA 2.0; or
- A qualification that APIIT accepts as equivalent to the above.
All students must demonstrate that they have met the equivalent of IELTS 6.0 either through formal English language assessment or through success in prior study at “A” level or equivalent in English.
- You will be required to create a storyboard of “Thinking Outside of the Box”. You should imagine a matchbox and a single match next to it. Visualize how the match gets back in the box. The match is a character that has a need to get back into the box for a reason.
- Route 2: Direct Entry to Year 2 Degree
- Successful completion of the relevant APIIT Diploma, or
- Successful completion of study in another recognised institution with academic credits equivalent to Year 1 of an honours degree in relevant subjects
Topics you will experience include:
- Animation Fundamentals I
- Animation Fundamentals II
- Animation Fundamentals III
- Animation Fundamentals IV
- Applied Timing I
- Applied Timing II
- Cinema Film Analysis
- Sculpture for Animation
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Animation Debates
- Audio, Sound and Score for Animation I
- Audio, Sound and Score for Animation II
- Character Animation Implementation I
- Character Animation Implementation II
- Film Shorts & Stings I
- Film Shorts & Stings II
- From Script to Screen
- Creative Practice
- Animation Futures
- Design Project Report
- Final Major signature Projects I
- Final Major signature Projects II
- Final Major signature Projects III
- Individual Animation Project I
- Individual Animation Project II
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete four (4) General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
During your time on the Animation programmes you are encouraged to form industry contacts through working on collaborative projects, live client-based briefs, attending and participating at film and animation festivals and an active involvement with the Student Careers Centre.
Whilst on the programme you will be encouraged to produce work that is of a standard to be screened at international events allowing for exposure to the wider animation community and potential employers. The animation programmes are well represented at annual film and animation festivals and competitions, both national and international.
Many of our recent UK graduates have gone onto be employed by international studios, notably: Aardman Feature Animation, Mackinnon and Saunders, Cosgrove Hall Films, Chapman Entertainment Studios, Ragdoll Productions, Oktober Animation, Cinesite, Double Negative, Rushes Post-production, ITV Studios and Cubic Motion. Others have gained work experience with Granada Studios, Barry Purves and other independent studios.
For more information on this programme, please visit www.apiit.edu.my