3 Years (6 Semesters)
Staffordshire University, UK
Portfolio: 27 February 2017
Intake: 24 April 2017
Portfolio: 12 September 2017
Intake: 02 October 2017
Portfolio: 07 November 2017
Intake: 4 December 2017
Study Loan Options:
PROGRAMME AT A GLANCE
The VFX award is for applicants looking for a career in the film, post-production or games industries - although some graduates may move onto positions within architectural visualisation, re-touching/advertising agencies or postgraduate study. VFX is predominantly about ideas and concept generation for film or games, covering characters, vehicles, products, clothing, sets and environments - ultimately taking those ideas through to finished concept artwork or 3D models.
More than ever, the film and games industries need tangible, exciting plots/scenarios with characters, environments and props to match them. Students develop ideas sometimes as 2D artwork concepts, complemented by accurate 3D digital modelling, coupled with green screen/compositing techniques. Design methodology, concept origination, speculative design, visualisation skills, life drawing, physical sketch and facsimile modelling provide traditional design skills.
Students also enjoy input from a number of practising industry professionals who are currently working on feature films and from UK companies such as Aardman Animation.
Project work is undertaken individually or as part of a team. Students are encouraged to attend a number of industry conferences in Year 2, a crucial recruitment event for the major film, postproduction and games houses.
Our research and consultancy staff have good (and expanding) industrial links. Where possible they call on their research or commercial work to inform and shape the curriculum, resulting in more industry-savvy graduates.
We encourage students to paticipate in commercial internship opportunities with Cinesite and RTT.
We welcome applications from people with a wide variety of qualifications, skills and experience. Applications are individually assessed. However typically you will have:
- Route 1: Entry to Year 1 Degree
- Successful completion of STPM with 2 full passes or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.0 and completion of SPM or equivalent; or
- Successful completion of A-Level with at least a pass in 2 subjects and successful completion of O-Level or equivalent; or
- Recognised Matriculation or foundation with CGPA 2.0; or
- A qualification that APIIT accepts as equivalent to the above.
All students must demonstrate that they have met the equivalent of IELTS 6.0 either through formal English language assessment or through success in prior study at “A” level or equivalent in English.
- You will be required to create a perspective drawing project of "Environment Design". The drawing must include an environment in a traditional market with people selling and buying on the scene. Please consider the use of perspective techniques for expressing your ideas.
- Route 2: Direct Entry to Year 2 Degree
- Successful completion of the relevant APIIT Diploma, or
- Successful completion of study in another recognised institution with academic credits equivalent to Year 1 of an honours degree in relevant subjects
Topics you will experience include:
- Digital Presentation 1 I
- Digital Presentation 1 II
- Digital Pipeline 1 I
- Digital Pipeline 1 II
- Cinema: Film Analysis
- Introduction to VFX: Visual Effects & Concept Design I
- Introduction to VFX: Visual Effects & Concept Design II
- Digital Compositing for Film
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Future Lifestyles I
- Future Lifestyles II
- Digital Pipeline 2 I
- Digital Pipeline 2 II
- Digital Presentation 2 I
- Digital Presentation 2 II
- Set Design I
- Set Design II
- Creativity for Sound & Moving Image I
- Creativity for Sound & Moving Image II
- Negotiated Programme of Study Part A
- Negotiated Programme of Study Part B
- Team Production Project I
- Team Production Project II
- Design Project Report
- Advanced 3D Modelling and Animation
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete four (4) General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
With a high degree of very transferable skills, VFX graduates are equipped to look beyond immediate employment within film or games industries, for example architectural visualisation, web media, advertising media, teaching etc.
For more information on this programme, please visit www.apiit.edu.my