3 Years (6 Semesters)
Staffordshire University, UK
Commencement from 2018 onwards
Study Loan Options:
PROGRAMME AT A GLANCE
This award is highly practical and industry based in the practice and learning of visual effects. Our past graduates are now working for the worlds best VFX houses including Double Negative, Framestore, MPC and Aardman and running of their departments working on the latest feature films for Hollywood.
We teach you the core skills of VFX required by the industry and Skillset. Employability and work experience is at the heart of our delivery and we have excellent industry connections with companies like Envy Post, Technicolor and Burrows to help you gain that vital work experience during your programme. Our programme is a pyramid of learning where production and post production skills will be developed and refined year-by-year,
enhancing your eye for detail and accuracy using HD equipment and industrial software and hardware.
In Year 1 you study digital compositing (image manipulation, colour matching, rotoscoping, tracking) using Adobe Photoshop and After Effects. You learn digital and traditional animation of characters to gently introduce you to making 3D come to life.
3D modelling, lighting and rendering is taught using Maya and you then have an option where you could study digital photography for VFX, digital matte painting or study digital film module.
Year 2 builds upon Year 1, taking your computer graphic skills to a higher level and introduces Nuke compositing, photorealistic CG, matchmoving and more advanced 3D. You also become part of a student VFX house where you learn to work just like you would in the industry and create VFX and CG projects artefacts to build your work based portfolio preparing you for an optional placement year.
In Year three you study VFX scripting, advanced compositing, work on team VFX projects and undertake a large individual research based project which will positively contribute towards creating a strong portfolio and CV. You will study advanced concepts of digital pipelines, colour management and use digital cinema 2K and 4K RAW ultra HD content in production of creative, cutting edge visual effects shorts.
We welcome applications from people with a wide variety of qualifications, skills and experience. Applications are individually assessed. However typically you will have:
- Route 1: Entry to Year 1 Degree
- Successful completion of STPM with 2 full passes or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.0 and completion of SPM or equivalent; or
- Successful completion of A-Level with at least a pass in 2 subjects and successful completion of O-Level or equivalent; or
- Recognised Matriculation or foundation with CGPA 2.0; or
- A qualification that APIIT accepts as equivalent to the above.
All students must demonstrate that they have met the equivalent of IELTS 6.0 either through formal English language assessment or through success in prior study at “A” level or equivalent in English.
- Route 2: Direct Entry to Year 2 Degree
- Successful completion of the relevant APIIT Diploma, or
- Successful completion of study in another recognised institution with academic credits equivalent to Year 1 of an honours degree in relevant subjects
Topics you will experience include:
- Digital Animation for VFX I
- Digital Animation for VFX II
- Digital Compositing 1 I
- Digital Compositing 1 II
- Digital Photography for VFX I
- Digital Photography for VFX II
- Introduction to CGI I
- Introduction to CGI II
- 3D Modelling for VFX I
- 3D Modelling for VFX II
- Digital Compositing 2 I
- Digital Compositing 2 II
- Junior VFX Team Project (CGI) I
- Junior VFX Team Project (CGI) II
- Lighting and Rendering for CG I
- Lighting and Rendering for CG II
- Documentary Production Technology I
- Documentary Production Technology II
- FX Portfolio Project I
- FX Portfolio Project II
- FX Research Project I
- FX Research Project II
- Rigging for Games and VFX
- Scripting Concepts for VFX
- Senior Team VFX Project (CGI) I
- Senior Team VFX Project (CGI) II
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete four (4) General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
The BSc (Hons) in CGI and Digital effects aims to produce graduates who are reflective and critical learners, with a global perspective, and who are prepared for the world of work.
The distinction of this CGI and Digital effects award is the unique mixture of technical and creative skills to develop visual effects (VFX) artists and artifacts. Leading to jobs as compositors, roto and paint artists, technical directors, 3D animators, matte painters, VFX producers and concept designers for the games, TV and film industries.
For more information on this programme, please visit www.apiit.edu.my