3 Years (6 Semesters)
Dual Degree Award:
APU, Malaysia and Staffordshire University, UK
21 February 2017
09 May 2017
12 September 2017
07 November 2017
Study Loan Options:
This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- Familiarity with a broad range of information technologies and how they are used.
- The ability to specify and manage the implementation of a range of mobile communications systems to support various activities.
- The ability to design, develop, and implement viable mobile technology solutions using appropriate platforms, tool s, and techniques.
- 2 Principal Passes at STPM level and with 4 Credit Passes at SPM including Mathematics; or
- 2 Passes with at ‘A’ Levels and with a Credit Pass at ‘O’ Levels / GCSE including Mathematics; or
- The APIIT/APU Foundation or equivalent with CGPA of 2.0 and Credit in Mathematics at SPM/O-Level; or
- 5 Grade B's in UEC including Mathematics; or
- Canadian Pre-University (CPU) with minimum average of 50%; or
- Australian Matriculation (AUSMAT) with minimum average of 60%; or
- South Australian Matriculation Certificate (SAM) with minimum of 60%; or
- International Baccalaureate with minimum 24 marks;
- Victorian Certificate of Education with minimum average of 50%;
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma with minimum average of 50%; or
- A qualification that APU accepts as equivalent to the above.
The qualification and entry requirements for the programmes will be determined based on the "Comparison List of Equivalency of International Qualifications with SPM (O-Levels equivalent) and STPM (A-Levels equivalent)" published by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
The IT degree and all of its specialisms have similar modules in Level 1. Modules that provide a foundation for any IT professional include System Analysis & Design, Fundamentals of Software Development, and Introduction to Programming in an appropriate language. More technical knowledge and skills are developed in Operating
Systems & Computer Architecture and Introduction to Networking. Introduction to Management and Computing & IT in the Workplace provide a foundation for multidisciplinary education and understanding personal and organisational development. Important and relevant skills for independent learning are introduced throughout this level.
- Computing & IT in the Workplace
- Fundamentals of Software Development
- Introduction to Databases
- Introduction to Management
- Introduction to Networking
- Mathematical Concepts for Computing
- Operating Systems & Computer Architecture
- System Analysis & Design
- Interactive Media & Web Design Technology
- Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
Further in-depth analysis and design skills are developed here through System Development Methods, Web Applications, and Computer Games Design. Specific computing skills are developed in Object Oriented Development with Java, Programming Concepts in C++, and System Programming & Computer Control. Specific technical knowledge and skills related to Mobile Technology are enhanced at this level through the Fundamentals of Mobile Computing and Mobile & Wireless Technology modules. Along with independent learning, a common theme in all APU ICT awards is fostering creativity and innovation in individuals and teams. These themes are the specific focus of the Creativity & Innovation and Research Methods for Computing & Technology modules.
- Creativity & Innovation
- Object Oriented Development with Java
- Probability & Statistical Modeling
- Professional & Enterprise Development
- Research Methods For Computing and Technology
- System Development Methods
- Computer Games Design: High Concept and Preproduction
- Fundamentals of Mobile Computing
- Mobile & Wireless Technology
- Programming Concepts in C++
- System Programming and Computer Control
- Web Applications
After the completion of Level 2 students will undertake a short Internship / Industrial Training. This will prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the world of Information Technology.
The focus of Level 3 is further development of relevant technical skills and the ability to apply these skills with strong critical thinking and analysis. Specific skills in the area of Mobile Technology are developed through Software Development for Mobile Devices, Mobile & Web Multimedia, Mobile Multimedia & Gaming, Advanced Wireless Technology, and Enterprise Programming for Distributed Applications. General personal and professional development is enhanced in Project Management, while Innovation Management & New Product Development continues the theme of generating new ideas and creating new products.
The Investigations and Project modules provide opportunity for students to further develop the academic and practical aspects of their areas of study and reinforce their independent learning skills. Furthermore, the major project that students are expected to do, will entail extensive research in domain knowledge and acquiring of skills in using tools and methods in the particular specialism. The significant aspect of this level is the demonstration of higher level critical thinking, analysis and application in the award project.
- Innovation Management & New Product Development
- Project Management
- Advanced Wireless Technology
- Critical Issues in Managing IS in Organisations
- Distributed Computer Systems
- Enterprise Programming for Distributed Applications
- Investigations in Mobile Technology
- Mobile Multimedia & Gaming
- Mobile Technology Project
- Software Development for Mobile Devices
- XML & Web Services
Note: The specialism will appear only in the academic transcript.
Careers in Mobile Technology:
Your specialist knowledge of design issues in the mobile communications sector, with its developing needs for hardware, software and systems will make you highly sought after in the fast-moving and growing sector.