3 Years (6 Semesters)
Dual Degree Award:
APU, Malaysia and Staffordshire University, UK
21 February 2017
09 May 2017
12 September 2017
07 November 2017
Study Loan Options:
This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- Familiarity with a broad range of information technologies and how they are used.
- An understanding of frameworks and planning techniques for the strategic management of data and information in organisations.
- The technical skills necessary to evaluate, design, configure, and maintain the data management infrastructure.
- 2 Principal Passes at STPM level and with 4 Credit Passes at SPM including Mathematics; or
- 2 Passes with at ‘A’ Levels and with a Credit Pass at ‘O’ Levels / GCSE including Mathematics; or
- The APIIT/APU Foundation or equivalent with CGPA of 2.0 and Credit in Mathematics at SPM/O-Level; or
- 5 Grade B's in UEC including Mathematics; or
- Canadian Pre-University (CPU) with minimum average of 50%; or
- Australian Matriculation (AUSMAT) with minimum average of 60%; or
- South Australian Matriculation Certificate (SAM) with minimum of 60%; or
- International Baccalaureate with minimum 24 marks;
- Victorian Certificate of Education with minimum average of 50%;
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma with minimum average of 50%; or
- A qualification that APU accepts as equivalent to the above.
The qualification and entry requirements for the programmes will be determined based on the "Comparison List of Equivalency of International Qualifications with SPM (O-Levels equivalent) and STPM (A-Levels equivalent)" published by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
The IT degree and all of its specialisms have similar modules in Level 1. Modules that provide a foundation for any IT professional include System Analysis & Design, Fundamentals of Software Development, and Introduction to Programming in an appropriate language. More technical knowledge and skills are developed in Operating Systems & Computer Architecture and Introduction to Networking. This specialism is introduced with Introduction to Databases. Introduction to Management and Computing & IT in the Workplace provide a foundation for multi-disciplinary education and understanding personal and organisational development. Important and relevant skills for independent learning are introduced throughout this level.
- Computing & IT in the Workplace
- Fundamentals of Software Development
- Introduction to Databases
- Introduction to Management
- Introduction to Networking
- Mathematical Concepts for Computing
- Operating Systems & Computer Architecture
- System Analysis & Design
- Introduction To C Programming
- Introduction to Security and Forensic Technologies
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
Further in-depth analysis and design skills are developed at Level 2 through System Development Methods, Web Applications, and Database Design & Development. Specific computing skills are developed through Object Oriented Development with Java, Programming Concepts in C++, and System Programming & Computer Control.
Integrated Business Processes with SAP ERP Systems and Data Management will give you a thorough understanding of how IT supports modern organisational activity. Along with independent learning, a common theme in all APU ICT awards is fostering creativity and innovation in individuals and teams. These themes are the specific focus of the Creativity & Innovation and Research Methods for Computing & Technology modules.
- Creativity & Innovation
- Object Oriented Development with Java
- Probability & Statistical Modeling
- Professional & Enterprise Development
- Research Methods For Computing and Technology
- System Development Methods
- Data Management
- Database Design & Development
- Integrated Business Processes with SAP ERP Systems
- Programming Concepts in C++
- System Programming and Computer Control
- Web Applications
After the completion of Level 2 students will undertake a short Internship / Industrial Training. This will prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the world of Information Technology.
The focus of Level 3 is further development of relevant technical skills and the ability to apply these skills with strong critical thinking and analysis. Knowledge Discovery & Big Data Analytics and Enterprise Programming for Distributed Applications give you the advanced computing skills required to take advantage of enterprise databases. Cloud Infrastructure and Services, Information Storage and Management, Database Administration, Computer Systems Security, and Database Security ensure that you have the technical skills necessary to evaluate, design, configure, and maintain the data management infrastructure.
- Innovation Management & New Product Development
- Project Management
- Cloud Infrastructure & Services
- Computer Systems Security
- Database Administration
- Database Security
- DatabaseAdministration Project
- Enterprise Programming for Distributed Applications
- Information Storage and Management
- Investigations in Database Administration
- Knowledge Discovery & Big Data Analytics
Note: The specialism will appear only in the academic transcript.
Careers in Database Administration:
Database administration is an area of IT operations that is common to all enterprises, and Database Administrator (DBA) consistently makes the top ten in rankings of the best technology jobs.