3 Years (6 Semesters)
Dual Degree Award:
APU, Malaysia and Staffordshire University, UK
21 February 2017
09 May 2017
12 September 2017
07 November 2017
Study Loan Options:
This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- Familiarity with a broad range of information technologies and how they are used.
- A specialised and focused emphasis on information systems securiy as it applies in contemporary industry.
- The skills and knowledge required to critically evaluate and refine information systems security strategies and programmes.
- 2 Principal Passes at STPM level and with 4 Credit Passes at SPM including Mathematics; or
- 2 Passes with at ‘A’ Levels and with a Credit Pass at ‘O’ Levels / GCSE including Mathematics; or
- The APIIT/APU Foundation or equivalent with CGPA of 2.0 and Credit in Mathematics at SPM/O-Level; or
- 5 Grade B's in UEC including Mathematics; or
- Canadian Pre-University (CPU) with minimum average of 50%; or
- Australian Matriculation (AUSMAT) with minimum average of 60%; or
- South Australian Matriculation Certificate (SAM) with minimum of 60%; or
- International Baccalaureate with minimum 24 marks;
- Victorian Certificate of Education with minimum average of 50%;
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma with minimum average of 50%; or
- A qualification that APU accepts as equivalent to the above.
The IT degree and all of its specialisms have similar modules in Level 1. Modules that provide a foundation for any IT professional include System Analysis & Design, Fundamentals of Software Development, and Introduction to Programming in an appropriate language. Technical knowledge and skills essential in this field of specialisation are introduced in Operating Systems & Computer Architecture, Introduction to Networking, and Introduction to Security and Forensic Technologies. Introduction to Management and Computing & IT in the Workplace provide a foundation for multi-disciplinary education and understanding personal and organisational development. Important and relevant skills for independent learning are introduced throughout this level.
- Computing & IT in the Workplace
- Fundamentals of Software Development
- Introduction to Databases
- Introduction to Management
- Introduction to Networking
- Mathematical Concepts for Computing
- Operating Systems & Computer Architecture
- System Analysis & Design
- Introduction to C Programming
- Introduction to Security and Forensic Technologies
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
Specific skills related to Information Systems Security are enhanced at this level through the Network Security, Ethical Hacking and Incidence Response, Principles of Networks and Network Design, and Mobile Wireless Technology modules. Your analysis and design skills are developed with System Development Methods, while yur programming skills are sharpened with Object Oriented Development with Java and System Programming & Computer Control. Along with independent learning, a common theme in all APU ICT awardes is fostering creativity and innovation in individuals and teams. These themes are the specific focus of the Creativity & Innovation and Research Methods for Computing & Technology modules.
- Creativity & Innovation
- Object Oriented Development with Java
- Probability & Statistical Modeling
- Professional & Enterprise Development
- Research Methods For Computing and Technology
- System Development Methods
- Ethical Hacking and Incidence Response
- Fundamentals of Mobile Computing
- Mobile & Wireless Technology
- Network Security
- Principles of Networks and Network Design
- System Programming and Computer Control
After the completion of Level 2 students will undertake a short Internship / Industrial Training. This will prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the world of Information Technology.
The focus of Level 3 is further development of relevant technical skills and the ability to apply these skills with strong critical thinking and analysis. Specific information systems security environments are covered by the Computer Systems Security, Wireless and Mobile Security, and Voice Over IP Security modules. Malicious Software and Security Programming, Design of Corporate Communications Systems, Penetration Testing, and Critical Issues in Managing IS in Organisations provide a thorough understanding of how information systems security supports modern organisational activity. General personal and professional development is enhanced in Project Management, while Innovation Management & New Product Development continues the theme of generating new ideas and creating new products.
- Innovation Management & New Product Development
- Project Management
- Computer Systems Security
- Critical Issues in Managing IS in Organisations
- Design of Corporate Communications Systems
- Information Systems Security Project
- Investigations in Information Systems Security
- Malicious Software and Security Programming
- Penetration Testing
- Voice Over IP Security
- Wireless and Mobile Security
Note: The specialism will appear only in the academic transcript.
Careers in Information System Security:
Functional roles within IT security officers / analysts / consultants, involved in designing and implementing security infrastructure / solutions for organisations.