Dual Degree Award:
APU, Malaysia & Staffordshire University, UK
08 November 2016
14 February 2017
Study Loan Options:
This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- Knowledge and understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of investment and risk management.
- Knowledge and skills necessary to analyse complex situations that occur in financial decision-making.
- Exposure to a more in-depth understanding of financial risk management and undertake project which explores this area in a more analytical way.
DID YOU KNOW...?
- APU Banking and Finance Degree programmes are accredited by The Financial Accreditation Agency (FAA)
- Students who specialised in Financial Planning are allowed to sit for the Module 1 and Module 4 exams for the CFP certification programme without having to attend the required 60 hours of tutorial for each module. For Module 2 and Module 3, students will be allowed to sit for the exams after just attending 40 hours of lectures per module.
- APU Banking and Finance Degree programmes are accredited by Asian Institute of Chartered Bankers (AICB), upon completion of the programme, students with CGPA more than 3.0 will be awarded with Executive Banker certificate.
What you will study
The first year provides the basis and foundation in banking and finance necessary to understanding the more focused modules studied in the second and final year of the programme. Students from a wide variety of educational backgrounds are all taught a common set of modules during the first year. This enables APU to accept students without specific pre - requisites. The students will study modules covering a range of subjects fundamental to the understanding of business management and finance.
Students will also undertake the Introduction to Banking and Finance module to allow early exposure to this areas of study.
- Quantitative and Statistical Methods
- Introduction to Management
- Business and Communications Skills
- Financial Accounting 1
- Business Economics
- Introduction to Banking & Finance
- Financial Accounting 2
- Accounting for Bankers
- Business Law
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
The second year will focus on the management and appraisal of financial risk as well as theories of securities & options, understanding of the characteristics of fixed income securities and the tools and techniques for analysis and management of fixed income portfolios.
Students will also be exposed to other areas of knowledge of banking, finance, economics, and investment analysis which as supplementary modules to produce wholesome graduates equipped with knowledge in investment and risk management as well as credit risk in banking and finance.
The Financial econometrics modules will introduce students to the tools and test for various financial market hypotheses. Students will be requested to work through a number of questions and projects with a broad range of financial data sets using Econometric software.
The programme also offers the benefit of training in the SAP system, the world-leading enterprise software suite. The students will have the hands-on training with the system in the lab and ensures that they will be thoroughly acquainted with this important software application.
Business Research Methods which exposes students on how to write research proposals and conduct research will also be taught at this level.
- Financial Statement Analysis
- The Financial System
- Banking Instruments & Procedures
- Time Series and Forecasting
- Management of Financial Services
- Integrated Business processes with SAP ERP System
- Financial Econometrics
- Business Research Methods
- Financial Management
- Law of Banking & Finance
- Financial Economics
- Equity and Fixed Income Investment
At APU, we encourage our students to be entrepreneurial and innovative. After the completion of Level 2, students will undertake a short internship/industrial training of a minimum of 12 weeks. This will provide our students opportunities to engage with realworld business problems both in our programmes and in our renowned Professional Training placements.
In the final year, students will learn more about the practical aspects of risk management practices and theory especially in banks and corporate firms. Students will also learn about the globalization of banking and finance in International Banking and Investment including strategies of risk management adopted by firms in practice. Concept and empirical applications of Technical Analysis and Trading will also be taught at this level.
The Project in Investment and Risk Management further develops the academic and practical aspects of your chosen area of study and reinforces your independent learning skills.
Courses such as Capital Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management provide the necessary closure to the programme.
- Risk Management in Banking
- Financial Derivatives
- Corporate Finance
- International Banking & Investment
- Investigations in Investment and Risk Management
- Building Customers Relationships
- Portfolio Management
- Investment and Risk Management Project
- Capital Investment Analysis
- Technical Analysis and Trading
- Global Finance
Note: The specialism will only appear in the academic transcript.
CAREERS IN INVESTMENTS AND RISK MANAGEMENT
Graduates specialising in Investment and Risk Management will be able to develop their careers in Planning and Budgeting, Portfolio Management, Investments, Securities’ Trading, and Foreign Currency Trading. Investment and Wealth Management, Trade Finance, Treasury, Risk Management, Settlements and Operations.