3 Years (6 Semesters)
Dual Degree Award:
APU, Malaysia and Staffordshire University, UK
09 May 2017
12 September 2017
07 November 2017
Study Loan Options:
This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- Familiarity with the tools and rigorous methodologies used to develop mission-critical and safety-critical software systems.
- The ability to critically evaluate design paradigms, languages, algorithms, and techniques used to develop large-scale and complex software systems.
- A deep appreciation of the importance of software architecture, testing, documentation, and maintainability.
- 2 Principal Passes at STPM level and with 4 Credit Passes at SPM including Mathematics and Additional Mathematics; or
- 2 Passes with at ‘A’ Levels and with a Credit Pass at ‘O’ Levels / GCSE including Mathematics and Additional Mathematics; or
- The APIIT/APU Foundation or equivalent with CGPA of 2.0 and Credit in Mathematics and Additional Mathematics at SPM/O-Level; or
- 5 Grade B's in UEC including Mathematics; or
- Canadian Pre-University (CPU) with minimum average of 50%; or
- Australian Matriculation (AUSMAT) with minimum average of 60%; or
- South Australian Matriculation Certificate (SAM) with minimum of 60%; or
- International Baccalaureate with minimum 24 marks;
- Victorian Certificate of Education with minimum average of 50%;
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma with minimum average of 50%; or
- A qualification that APU accepts as equivalent to the above.
The qualification and entry requirements for the programmes will be determined based on the "Comparison List of Equivalency of International Qualifications with SPM (O-Levels equivalent) and STPM (A-Levels equivalent)" published by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
Level 1 modules in this program that provide a foundation for any IT professional include System Analysis & Design, Fundamentals of Software Development, and Introduction to Programming in an appropriate language. More technical knowledge and skills are developed in Operating Systems & Computer Architecture and Introduction to Networking. Introduction to Artificial Intelligence is the first specialised module related to Software Engineering. Modules such as Introduction to Management, Computing & IT in the Workplace and Professional & Enterprise Development provide a foundation for multi-disciplinary education and understanding personal and organisational development. Important and relevant skills for independent learning are introduced throughout the program.
- Computing & IT in the Workplace
- Fundamentals of Software Development
- Introduction to Databases
- Introduction to Management
- Introduction to Networking
- Mathematical Concepts for Computing
- Operating Systems & Computer Architecture
- System Analysis & Design
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
- Introduction to Object Oriented Porgramming
- Interactive Media & Web Design Technology
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
Specific technical skills related to Software Engineering are developed at this level. Requirements Engineering covers principles, practical skills, for the software lifecycle, and the methodologies and tools for specification, design, development, testing, evaluation, and maintenance of software systems. In Software Architecture you will have an opportunity to analyse applications in terms of their scope, style, and dynamism as well as to work in a group to develop a software system using middleware technologies. System Programming and Computer Control offers an introduction to the concepts associated with data acquisition that are the key to computer automation. The emphasis on independent learning continues at this level, and is a particular focus and requirement in Research Methods.
- Creativity & Innovation
- Object Oriented Development with Java
- Professional & Enterprise Development
- Research Methods For Computing and Technology
- System Development Methods
- System Programming and Computer Control
- Data Structures
- Design Methods
- Requirements Engineering
- Software Architecture
- Programming Concepts in C++
- Concurrent Programming
After the completion of Level 2 students will undertake a short Internship/Industrial Training. This will prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the world of Software Engineering.
The focus of Level 3 is further development of relevant technical skills and the ability to apply these skills with strong critical thinking and analysis. In Design Patterns you will be exposed to methods for object-oriented systems development that improve software design, organisation, and maintainability. In Software Quality Engineering you will learn to devise, describe, evaluate, and apply various software metrics. Advanced Programming Language Concepts offers an overview of programming language paradigms, with a focus on languages can be used to write extremely concise and powerful applications and those that are tuned to queries of a set of facts and rules. General personal and professional development is enhanced in Project Management,
while Innovation Management & New Product Development continues the theme of generating new ideas and creating new products.
The major project that you are expected to complete, entails extensive research in domain knowledge and the acquisition of skills in using tools and methods in Software Engineering. This is where you will demonstrate higher level critical thinking analysis and solutions development skills which will enhance your employability.
- Project Management
- Innovation Management & New Product Development
Specialised and Option Modules
- Advance Programming Language Concepts
- Design Patterns
- Software Quality Engineering
- Designing & Developing Applications on Cloud
- Advanced Database Systems
- Distributed Computer Systems
- Enterprise Programming for Distributed Applications
- HCI & Usability
- Investigations in Software Engineering
- Software Engineering Project
CAREERS IN SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
You will have acquired the knowledge and techniques to be employed as an application development and software engineer as required by a wide variety of companies and organisations.