Full time (16 months)
Dual Degree Award:
APU, Malaysia &
Staffordshire University, UK
This programme of Master of Accounting in Forensic Analysis is designed to provide a progressive, challenging and stimulating framework of study that will equip you with knowledge and skills required in this field. With the corporate financial scandals of the 1990s and the economic crisis that looms today, forensic accountants are becoming more and more vital for ensuring that financial transactions are done legally and ethically. Thus, forensic accounting and fraud investigation is one of the fastest growing areas of accounting, and there is an increasing global demand for specialists with forensic accounting knowledge and skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with minimum CGPA of 2.75 or equivalent as acceptable by the Senate; OR
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field but for CGPA below 2.75; can be accepted provided that the candidates must have 5 years working experience in relevant field.
- Graduates of equivalent qualifications who have several years of relevant industry experience.
- Evidence of satisfactory English language skills is required for candidates where English is not their first language, such as IELTS 6.0 or above or TOEFL 550 or above.
Who should attend
This progamme is ideal for any fresh graduate interested in pursuing a career in the dynamic and growing field of forensic accounting and fraud examination as well as those accountants and auditors who wish to pursue or enhance their career as forensic accountants. This programme integrates the accounting, auditing and investigative skills used to yield analysis and results suitable for use by the courts as the basis for resolution.
The Benefits of This Programme
On successful completion of this programme, you will be able to :
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of the concepts, principles of forensic accounting theory, familiar with the legal framework of forensic accounting services and understand the roles and responsibilities of the forensic accountant.
- Recognize and appropriately respond to ethical issues in the practice of accounting by incorporating appropriate professional codes of conduct and social responsibility.
- Conduct successful investigations and communicate effectively in writing and orally both in and out of the courtroom with respect to a variety of criminal and civil financial matters.
- Develop a mindset of professional scepticism, using critical thinking and creative approaches to complex problem solving.
- Gather and analyze quantitative and non-quantitative evidence, plan and conduct a research project in a professional and ethical manner which requires familiarity with a range of data, research sources and appropriate methodologies.
- Create, evaluate and assess a range of options together with developing the capacity to apply ideas and knowledge to a range of situations.
Programme Modules & Project / Dissertation
The modules of this programme will provide the knowledge and analytical skill to identify and apply the law, the rules of procedure and evidence and ethics that relate to forensic accounting.
- Quantitative Methods For Decision Making
- Managerial Finance
- Management Accounting for Decision Making
- Management Control and Audit
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examination
- Forensic Accounting Engagement
- Financial Statement Fraud
- Accounting Information Systems
- Research Methodology
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Cybercrime and Investigation
- Criminology & Legal Framework
- Project Paper/Case Study
Training in research methods, through the Research Methodology Module, in addition to close supervision, will encourage you to develop your research skills so that you can complete your dissertation or project paper efficiently. The dissertation helps you to develop the kind of skills you will need for work in a variety of careers, as well as to develop your specific ability to research and analyse academic problems.
The research will enable you to exercise critical judgment and demonstrate professionalism and compliance to ethical standards. The main purpose of this dissertation/project undertaking is to allow you to explore your area of interest such as fraud examination, litigation consulting or expert witnessing and to apply the right approach or methodology and again to arrive at the rightful solutions that best suit or solve the problems at hands. You will be expected to deal with your chosen topic in a competent and scholarly manner, and to display critical discrimination and a sense of proportion in evaluating evidence and the opinions of others.