3 Years (6 Semesters)
Dual Degree Award:
APU, Malaysia & Staffordshire University, UK
08 November 2016
14 February 2017
Study Loan Options:
This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- Knowledge and skills in handling financial products, product development and working within the Global Banking and Finance Industry.
- Opportunities to develop into highly competent managers, who are well qualified not only in Banking and Finance but also other professional areas required for successful business administration and management.
- Opportunities to develop skills in innovation, ingenuity and integration as well as problem solving and decision making.
- Exposure to the Banking & Finance-related industries using assignments to mimic the actual decision making process and broad-based information pertaining to the industries.
DID YOU KNOW...?
- APU Banking and Finance Degree programmes are accredited by The Financial Accreditation Agency (FAA)
- Students who specialised in Financial Planning are allowed to sit for the Module 1 and Module 4 exams for the CFP certification programme without having to attend the required 60 hours of tutorial for each module. For Module 2 and Module 3, students will be allowed to sit for the exams after just attending 40 hours of lectures per module.
- APU Banking and Finance Degree programmes are accredited by Asian Institute of Chartered Bankers (AICB), upon completion of the programme, students with CGPA more than 3.0 will be awarded with Executive Banker certificate.
What you will study
The first year provides the basis and foundation in banking and finance necessary to understanding the more focused modules studied in the second and final year of the programme. Students from a wide variety of educational backgrounds are all taught a common set of modules during the first year. This enables APU to accept students without specific pre - requisites. The students will study modules covering a range of subjects fundamental to the understanding of business management and finance.
Students will also undertake the Introduction to Banking and Finance module to allow early exposure to this areas of study.
- Quantitative and Statistical Methods
- Introduction to Management
- Business and Communications Skills
- Financial Accounting 1
- Business Economics
- Introduction to Banking & Finance
- Financial Accounting 2
- Accounting for Bankers
- Business Law
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
The second year will focus on the core banking and finance modules focusing on Banking Instruments and procedures and credit management as well as the overall financial system environment. Students will also be exposed to knowledge of Financial Management, the Financial System and Law of Banking and Finance to produce graduates with holistic capabilities and knowledge. Students are also introduced to the Business Research Methods module which exposes students on how to write research proposals and conduct research.
The Financial Econometrics modules will introduce students to the tools and test for various financial market hypotheses. Students will be requested to work through a number of questions and projects with a broad range of financial data sets using Econometric software.
The programme also offers the vital benefit of training in the SAP system, the worldleading enterprise software suite. The students will have the hands-on training with the system in the lab and ensures that they will be thoroughly acquainted with this important software application.
In addition, students will have in-depth understanding of banking & finance via modules such as Credit Management and Treasury Management.
- Financial Statement Analysis
- The Financial System
- Banking Instruments & Procedures
- Time Series and Forecasting
- Management of Financial Services
- Integrated Business processes with SAP ERP System
- Financial Econometrics
- Business Research Methods
- Financial Management
- Law of Banking & Finance
- Treasury Management
- Credit Management
At APU, we encourage our students to be entrepreneurial and innovative. After the completion of Level 2, students will undertake a short internship/industrial training of a minimum of 12 weeks. This will provide our students opportunities to engage with realworld business problems both in our programmes and in our renowned Professional Training placements.
In the final year, students will learn more about the practical aspect of banking practices and theory especially on Risk Management in Banking. Students will also learn about the globalization of banking and finance which includes the development of international banking and investment theory in global banking practices. The Project in Banking and Finance further develops the academic and practical aspects of students’ chosen area of study and reinforces their independent learning skills. Courses such as Control and Audit System and Corporate Restructuring provide the necessary closure to the programme.
- Risk Management in Banking
- Financial Derivatives
- Corporate Finance
- International Banking & Investment
- Investigations in Banking & Finance
- Building Customers Relationships
- Portfolio Management
- Banking and Finance Project
- Control & Audit System
- Corporate Restructuring
- Global Finance
CAREERS IN BANKING AND FINANCE
Graduates in Banking and Finance are able to develop into careers in Consultancy, Commercial Banking, Investment, Sales, Trading, and Risk Management. Potential job roles include Stock Broker, Banker, Merchant Banker, Trader, Finance Director, Finance Officer, Underwriter, Personal Finance Advisor, Loan and Credit Officer.