2 years (5 Semesters)
Study Loan Options
03 April 2017
15 May 2017
11 September 2017
06 November 2017
This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- Students with skills in software systems development, with emphasis on aspects of software engineering.
- Students with the skills to prepare them for careers in the ICT environment with emphasis on solutions design, software development and technology infrastructure support.
- An appreciation of the proven principles and techniques for the development and support of software systems in commercial organisations.
- Students with critical, independent and cooperative learning skills so as to facilitate responses to continuous future changes in industry practises.
- Students with academic and professional skills to develop solutions requiring the application of technology in a business and organisational context, so as to respond to continuous future changes in technology and industry practices.
- Students with intellectual skills, communications ability and team working capability.
- Students with opportunities for progression into advanced programmes of study of International standard in relevant areas.
Diploma Admission Requirements:
Admission requirements for this programme is as follows
- An overall credit pass in 3 subjects at SPM including credit in Mathematics and a minimum of pass in Bahasa Malaysia and Sejarah (History); or
- An overall credit pass in 3 subjects at O-Levels/GCSE including credit in Mathematics; or
- A qualification that APU accepts as equivalent to the above
Diploma Course Structure:
At the beginning of the programme students will acquire basic mathematical, language and communication skills along with core information technology skills. Students will gain an understanding of basic concepts and terminology related to technology and business management.
- English for Academic Purposes
- Numerical Skills
- Managing Business
- Practical IT Skills
The second semester builds on and extends the foundation knowledge developed in the first semester. Language and communication skills are taken to more advanced levels of research and professionalism. The ability to analyze and solve problems using quantitative skills, and familiarity with technology are enhanced.
- Professional Communication
- Academic Research Skills
- Computer Technology
- Numeric Methods & Logic
This semester moves students to a new level in information and communication technology related areas such as computer programming, databases, internet applications and computer system architecture. With this knowledge, students are able to use computing tools and techniques to solve common real-world problems.
- Database Systems
- Internet Applications
- Computer Systems Architecture
- Visual Basic
Students are exposed to more advanced development concepts, including the application of usability principles in the web design and development process, and the system development cycle. Specialisation starts here, with a deeper understanding of the systematic models and standard process-oriented methodologies that are the essence of software engineering as a career field. Software engineering also requires a deep appreciation of algorithmic thinking, based on calculus and algebra.
- Web Development
- Numerical Methods
- Introduction to Software Engineering
- Operating Systems
- System Analysis & Design
In their final semester, students acquire basic knowledge of computer networks, digital security and forensics to deepen their knowledge of computing technology and ethical responsibilities. Students also design and implement algorithms using their second programming language, and complete a Software Development Project to show that they can integrate skills, knowledge and understanding from the full programme, including a range of AI techniques for problem solving.
- Java Programming
- Digital Security and Forensic
- Networks & Networking
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
- Software Development Project
*In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-curricular activities.
Upon successful completion of this programme, you will be eligible to progress into any of the following degree programmes offered at APU:
- BSc (Hons) in Information Technology
- BSc (Hons) in Information Technology with a specialism in:
- Database Administration
- Mobile Technology
- Cloud Computing
- Business Information Systems
- Information System Security
- Network Computing
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science
- BSc (Hons) in Software Engineering
- BSc (Hons) in Intelligent Systems
- BSc (Hons) in Internet Technology
- BSc (Hons) in Cyber Security
- BSc (Hons) in Forensics Computing
- APIIT - BSc (Hons) in Business Computing
- APIIT - BSc (Hons) in Business Computing with specialism in E-Commerce
- APIIT - BSc (Hons) in Business Information Technology