Full time (16 Months) / Part time (2-5 years)
Staffordshire University, UK
This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- An opportunity for professional development at an advanced level within the area of software engineering
- Enhancement of skills and knowledge in specialist areas for practising IT professionals
- The ability to undertake large-scale IT software development projects
- The skills necessary to participate effectively in the design and implementation of software systems of high quality and reliability
- Bachelor’s degree in IT/Computer Science and related areas with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 or equivalent as acceptable by the Senate; OR
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent but for CGPA below 2.50; can be accepted provided that the candidates must have 5 years working experience in relevant field.
- Graduates of equivalent qualifications who have several years of relevant industry experience.
- Evidence of satisfactory English language skills is required for candidates where English is not their first language, such as IELTS 6.0 or above or TOEFL 550 or above.
Who should attend
This programme is geared towards practicing software engineers within industry who seek formal qualifications in software engineering. In addition, IT professionals and managers who wish to upgrade their technical software engineering knowledge and IT skills to post-graduate level will find this programme attractive.
The Benefits of This Programme
On successful completion of this programme, you will be able to :
- Undertake and effectively manage large-scale and complex software development projects
- Participate in the design and implementation of software systems of high quality and reliability
- Appreciate problems and suggest solutions associated with the development of software systems
- Contribute to the advancement and development of software engineering theories and practices
- Appreciate how an efficient technology-based infrastructure is a key factor in enabling a business to gain a competitive edge
Programme Modules & Project / Dissertation
The programme comprises 7 coursework modules, the Personal Development and Research Methods
Module and a major project/ dissertation.
There are 5 compulsory Core Modules and you will have to choose 2 electives from those listed.
Optional Modules* (choose 2)
- Reliability Management
- Information Technology Project Management
- Object Oriented Software Systems Engineering
- Software Engineering Support Environments
- Software Quality Engineering
- *Personal Development and Research Methods
- Database Design and Development
- Integrated Systems Management
- Network Systems and Technologies
- Strategic Planning and Systems Development
- Interaction Design
- Android Application Development
|*The Personal Development and Research Methods will be studied in the Postgraduate Diploma stage of award.||* Optional modules are offered based on a pre-defined sequence and should students select their own set of preferred options, the duration to completion may be extended. |
Training in research methods, through the Research Methods & Proposal module, in addition to close supervision, will encourage you to develop your research skills so that you can complete your major project / dissertation efficiently. You are encouraged to complete industry-based major projects / dissertations that are directly relevant to your work and your organisation or any substantial idea from the modules taken.
The project emphasis should involve the derivation of criteria for the selection of software engineering processes, methods and tools. It would be expected that a software prototype, review of current practices or specifications should be produced.