Full time (16 months)
Full-time: 09 January / 10 April / 07 August 2017
Part-time: 13 January / 10 March / 12 May / 07 July 2017
This programme is designed to provide students with knowledge and applied skills in data science, big data analytics and business intelligence. It aims to develop analytical and investigative knowledge and skills using data science tools and techniques, and to enhance data science knowledge and critical interpretation skills. Students will understand the impact of data science upon modern processes and businesses, be able to identify, and implement specific tools, practices, features and techniques to enhance the analysis of data.
Click here to download the Programme Brochure.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with minimum CGPA of 2.75 or equivalent as acceptable by the Senate; OR
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field but for CGPA below 2.75; can be accepted provided that the candidates must have 5 years working experience in relevant field.
- Graduates of equivalent qualifications who have several years of relevant industry experience.
- Evidence of satisfactory English language skills is required for candidates where English is not their first language, such as IELTS 6.0 or above or TOEFL 550 or above.
Graduates will be equipped with knowledge, skills and experience in three major dimensions: Strategic and Commercial applicatio, "hands-on" ICT skills and Statistics & Analytics. The programme is not merely analytics-oriented, but develops the ability to use analytics to drive key success metrics related t yield management and revenue generation in practically any business domain. There is a tremendous requirement for Data Scientists and Big Data Specialists worldwide now and in the future, with hundreds of thousands of new job opportunities emerging globally. In Malaysia alone, by the year 2020 this need is expected to reach atleast 15,000 professionals.
The Benefits of This Programme
On successful completion of this programme, you will be able to :
- In addition to the degree award, a Joint Professional Certification will be offered by SAS Institute, USA.
- 30% of the curriculum will allow for mini industrial projects assessed as in-course work allowing for practical skills development in Data Analytics.
- The curriculum covers a wide range of subject matter from Analytical Technologies, Exposure to tools such as R & SAS Modelers, Data Visualization, Customer/User Behavioural Studies, Forecasting Methods and to Presenting the Business Intelligence reports.
- Industrial Final Semester Capstone Project from top IT firms such as Hilti Malaysia, IBM, Maxis, InfoPro, EMC, BIIT Consulting and Fusionex.
- External Programme Annual Reviews by experts from University of South Australia (UniSA).
- Programme Support by an Industry Advisory Panel involving data analytical experts from Petronas ICT, RedTone, SharePoint, CyberSecurity Malaysia, Maxis, IBM, Microsoft and Xtrategize.
- Research opportunities via APU’s Centre of Analytics – APCA.
The programme has been carefully designed by APU with inputs and contents from our partners, compirisng major technology and software solutions providers, university partners as well as industry organisations who use analytics for strategic and competitive advantage.
The strength of these partnerships endures that the programme comprehensively addresses all key stakeholders - Technology providers, Employers, Government as well as Students - in its learning outcomes, curriculum content, delivery adn assessment. Students also obtain certiifcation jointly issued with industry partners, which would certainly give them a head start in the exciting world of Big Data.
Furthermore, APU is also poised to become a frontrunner in analytics research through the establishment of the Asia Pacific Centre of Analytics (APCA), through which research activities will be undertaken to challenge boundaries in the application of analytics.
Graduates from this programme will not only gain an academic qualification from APU, but would also automatically attain a Globally Resognised Professional IndustryCertification from SAS. Along the way, graduates would also gain exposure to industrial workshops led by experts from the industry, providing a valuable gateway into future careers.
The programme comprises of 14 coursework modules including Research Methodology and a Capstone Project which is covered over a 3 semester study process. Each semester is 12 weeks. There are 11 compulsory Core Modules and you will have to choose 3 electives from those listed.
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3|
- Big Data Analytics & Technologies
- Data Analytical Programming
- Data Management
- Business Intelligence Systems
- Behavioural Science, Social Media and Marketing Analytics
- Advanced Business Analytics and Visualization
- Applied Machine Learning
- Research Methodology
- Multilevel Data Analysis
- Multivariate Methods for Data Analysis
- Capstone Project
- Optional Modules* (choose 3 only)
- Natural Language Processing
- Operational Research and Optimization
- Time Series Analysis and Forecasting
- Strategies in Emerging Markets
APU graduates will be equipped with experience on the commercial side in addition to the “hands-on” ICT and statistical skills. The programme allows for not just an analytics-orientation, but the ability to use analytics to drive key success metrics related to yield management and revenue generation. There is a requirement of Data Scientist worldwide and the numbers are large. In Malaysia alone, by the year 2020, it is envisioned the need will reach 15,000 professionals. The graduates will have the opportunities to be part of various sectors from manufacturing, transportation, banking, insurance, telco, retail and to the oil & gas industries. The job market is wide and the need for it starts this very moment. A graduate from APU’s programme will not only have the Professional Certification and the degree award but also exposure to industrial workshops led by experts from the industry and this alone is a gateway to talent acquisition.